Average Deductibles in Marketplace Plans with Combined Medical and Prescription Drug Deductibles

Notes: Figures are from 2017. Under the ACA, people purchasing silver plans on-exchange who have incomes below 250% of the poverty level (about $30,000 for a single individual or $60,000 for a family of four) receive reduced cost-sharing, meaning their plans have lower deductibles. Typically, silver plans have an actuarial value of 70%, meaning that on average the plan pays 70% of the cost of covered benefits for a standard population of enrollees, with the remaining 30% of total costs being covered by the enrollees in the form of deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance.

Data Source: Kaiser Family Foundation analysis of data from Healthcare.gov.

Source: Kaiser Family Foundation: What’s the Near-Term Outlook for the Affordable Care Act?